Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 49

Breakfast: Nature's Valley Honey 'N' Oats granola bar
Lunch: The other 1/2 of the Cajun Ranch Burger; Jo-Jo's; Water
Dinner: Romaine Salad with Ranch and Western dressing; Mashed Potatoes with Gravy; 2 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls

Early Morning Workout at Gold's Gym

Cardio: 45 minutes of walking on treadmill - 2.8-3.5 mph

Weights: Rest Day

**This morning was my consult with a personal trainer, Ryan.  It was supposed to include a fitness assessment but I've already had that done at Andover back in February.  So instead he tested by body fat and BMI.  The result were not a huge surprise...they were too high.  Ryan did say that BMI's aren't always accurate (Adrienne Peterson has a high BMI....because he's all muscle) and to pay more attention to your body fat percentage.

He then went over my workout routine.  He doesn't like it.....machines are inefficient on burning tons of calories.  He took me away from the machines and over to the free weight area....SCARY!  I was out of my element.  He made me do squats, squats with bicep curls, squats with bicep curls and then turn it into a shoulder press.  Then he made me do a pull down (sitting down) and then a pull down while squatting.  Then he put me on an overturned bosu ball and made me do squats.  I HATE squats.  I have no balance.  I was stumbling and shaking all over the place.  (And just now when I was coming downstairs from the shower, I almost fell down the stairs....legs are complete noodles.)

Ryan is really pushing me to do personal training because I have no balance = no muscle strength.  I've thought about doing personal training for a while now, since all Member Services staff had to do a fitness consultation at the Y back in February.  The biggest factor of not following through is $$$.  It's so expensive and it's a one year agreement.

And now I'm more confused than ever.  I broke more of sweat in 15 minutes with Ryan than the last 48 days of doing weights all by myself.  My asthma finally showed up.  This might sound bad, but I feel like I'm accomplishing something when I can't breath and I'm huffing and puffing.  It makes me feel good because I'm off the couch and being active.

If I go through with personal training, I'm thinking of only doing it once a week.  It'll be cheaper than say 3 or 4 days a week.  And if I have homework for the other 6 days, I can be accountable for myself.  I need to make this decision myself and not feel like I'm being pressured into it because Ryan wants to make a sale.  Making a decision to please someone else will only make me regret signing up for personal training.  It has to be for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment