Monday, December 12, 2011

Dietician & Chain of Lakes Y: Upper Weights and Cardio

This  morning I had my appointment with the dietician.  I wanted to educated myself on how to read labels and make better choices.  The information she gave me was helpful.  It made sense at the time but now it's just a jumble in my head.  We went over how to read foods labels and using online tools to make better choices when ordering at restaurants.   It was more about looking at saturated fats.  To maintain or lower cholesterol, one should stay under 15 grams of saturated fat per day. 

We went over this food journal and pointed out my flaws.  Too much cheese.  I'm a meat and potatoes....and cheese.  So I need to introduce more fruits and vegetables into my diet.  The fruit part is easy...all kinds of berries, apples, oranges, bananas.  Mix in a blender with yogurt and you have a delicious smoothie.  But vegetables....that's going to be hard.  I like salads and have opened up my palate to things besides Iceburg.  I can't do greens though...I feel like I'm eating weeds.   I like carrots and corn.  No broccoli (unless it's on a veggie pizza but I still pick it off) or celery or cauliflower or tomatoes.  I'll eat a veggie medley if someone else puts it on my plate and I'm super hungry....like at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater.  Those were some nummy zucchini's and red peppers.  I guess I'll be eating a lot more salads!!

It's also recommended that I start some supplements.  Omega 3 aka fish oil =  I don't like fish unless it's tuna.  But too much tuna is a bad thing too = mercury.  Big pills but I think I can handle it. 
Metamucil = fiber.  Bring on the tooting!  This is going to take some getting used to.  It doesn't dissolve and it feels like I'm drinking sandy water.

So the plan is to make my diet a little more balanced and healthier, then reassess in 3 months.  Fingers crossed that the cholesterol levels will be better.


Upper Weights: Tricep Press - 30 lbs/13 reps x1; 40 lbs/ 13 reps x2
                            Chest Press - 20 lbs/ 12 reps x3
                            Lat/High Row - 50 lbs/ 12 reps x3
                            Seated Row - 20 lbs/ 12 reps x3

Cardio: Octane - 30 minutes
            

Breakfast: Banana
                  1 Fish Oil Omega 3 pill...it's humongous
                  1 tsp. Metamucil...in 12 oz. of Chocolate Milk

Lunch: Green Giant's Steamers - Mac and Cheese with Broccoli....YUCK!  Never again!
             Water

Snack (at work appox. 5 pm): Salad - Spinach, Romaine, Iceburg; Diced Ham; Cottage Cheese; Western Dressing

Snack (at work approx 6 pm): Yoplait Yogurt - White Chocolate Strawberry with Wild Berry Flax Granola...YUM!  Will try again!

Snack (after workout approx 9:15 pm): 1 Cutie Clementine Orange

Dinner (at home approx.  10 pm): 1 hot dog; 1 slice of wheat bread with ketchup and mustard;  Nachos; Carrots with Fat Free Dill Dip (tastes funny!); Chocolate Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment